I'm Janimal, happily gainfully employed Momma to a sweet girl. Livin' it up in Atlanta with a great husband and a good job. Sometimes I make stuff and here's my spot to show it off! Life is good, so I'm sharing....

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Alice In Wonderland Popover Dress, Hairclip tute, Stitchalong

Few things today! I need to catch up in the Stitchalong, show off my adorable kid in her Alice in Wonderland Popover Dress, and show you how I made her matching hairclip!

So first, the stitchalong. I'm continuing my theme of the alphabet.

And now Delilah in her Alice Dress.
This is a good dress to run in!

The matching clippy:

And away she goes!

I recently made this Popover Dress for Delilah. (I love love love this pattern, great for a novice sewer like me, and it was FREE from Oliver and S.) And since I had fabric leftover, I decided to make her a matching hairclip. (LOVE the pattern. Easy and cute, thanks Oliver and S!)

I made her dress using fabric purchased from http://www.someartfabric.com/ at the recent Sewing Expo. It's an adorable Alice in Wonderland print by Kokka (Japanese).

Before I show you this tutorial, let me add that I have seen something like this made somewhere else. My version is smaller, lighter, because it's for my little girl who has very fine hair, so her hairclips can't be too heavy or they will just slide out.

My problem is, I don't remember where I saw the other tutorial that I had in mind. (EDIT BELOW I FOUND IT!) Recently I saw a cool looking flower in some blog. The author used cookie cutters for the flower shapes, and she had folded circles for the center, which are the parts I remembered and used those techniques for my "lightened up" version. So although I didn't exactly follow a tutorial to do this, I have read one recently and my memories of that one were my guide. So if this looks familiar to you, please let me know so I can give proper credit. And I'll go searching my favorite blogs to see if I can find it!

First, I used a cookie cutter to trace around and make a flower shape on the Alice fabric. I cut 2 of these.

Then I used a spool of embroidery thread as my template to trace around a circle shape on the coordinating fabric. I folded the fabric and cut 4 circles.

Lay the 2 flowers on top of each other, and thread a needle with a looooooong piece of matching thread. I used embroidery thread.

Stitch an X right in the middle of the flowers, stitching them together. Don't cut the thread! You're going to keep stitching with it! (I suppose you could use hot glue instead of stitching if stitching isn't your thing)

Then, I took a circle, folded it in half, then half again. Umm, so that's in quarters.

(sorry for the blurry pic)

Place the corner of the folded circle into one of the corners of the X on the flowers, and using the same thread, put a stitch through the corner, holding the circle to the flowers.

Repeat with the next circle, in the next corner

Keep going until all 4 circles are stitched on. Don't cut the thread!!

Almost finished! Next, using the same thread, stitch on a matching button. I thought I would use a white button, but after looking at it, I decided a red button looked nicer.

Once the button is nice and tightly on there, it was time to finally knot the thread and clip it off.

Now comes the glue gun.

I ran a line of glue on a hairclip, and stuck on the flower. No pics of gluing here - Once I got the glue on the clip, I moved quickly to get the flower stuck to it. If I stopped for a picture, I was afraid the glue would dry up too fast.


EDIT: I found the tutorial I modelled this after! Blue Cricket Design. The tutorial is here. Mine is not the same, but definitely inspired by and her techniques helped me creat my own. Her blog is really awesome like that.

Visit thecsiproject.com


  1. So cute!That outfit and clip are both so adorable!

  2. So cute!! I have a niece coming in July... I'll def have to make this one!

  3. Very cute little dress. I must make one for my granddaughter. Thanks for sharing the idea.


I love comments!