As I went through her clothes, I picked out lots of her pants -- way too thick for the southern heat. And I realized she didn't have that many pairs of shorts that fit.
Momma to the rescue! Here are 4 of the 5 pairs of shorts I made Delilah in the last few days.
Now, there are lots and lots of tutorials out there on how to make a simple one piece pattern out of shorts you already own. And it doesn't look that hard. But honestly, I just wasn't up for wasting any fabric or my time on trying to do this on my own and not getting it right. I don't have the energy to try and fail at fitting her properly.
So I bought a pattern. For $6. On Etsy. This one. From this shop. Worth every penny! For $6 all the guesswork was taken out. No sewing and ripping seams and measuring and redoing. For $6 I got one magical pattern piece that is so easy to put together!
Here's the 5th pair I made. Action shot - I kind of like this impromptu pose.
I didn't follow the instructions completely. These are roomy roomy shorts. On Delilah at this length they kind of look like board shorts, which I think is kinda cool.
I can't share the pattern with you - you have to pay the nice australian lady on Etsy $6 for that, but I can tell you a little bit about how I made them.
First, after cutting out the pattern. (one pattern piece, cut 2 of them for one pair of shorts) I used an overlock stitch all around the two pattern pieces before I started. So all my seams would be finished. For the elastic casing at the waist, I didn't double fold. Since it was overlocked, I just folded it down and ran a straight stitch around.
If you don't have an overlock stitch or foot to go with it (or a serger, which would be ideal of course) -- oooh, get one, it's awesome, --- if not, you can instead sew a zigzag stitch close to the edges to help with fraying. You could also do french seams if you like.
For the bottom hem, I just left the overlock stitch. Didn't hem it! They would be a tad fancier with a pretty hem I suppose, but for play clothes I think the overlocked hem looks just fine.
This pattern could be used for bloomers, and includes instructions on adding a casing for elastic at the legs. Maybe I'll do that one of these days.
Let's see, that's 5 pairs of shorts from a $6 pattern. 3 of the fabrics I used were given to me free. So for those 3 pairs of shorts, I averaged $2 apiece. And I am going to make more! So you see, that $6 pattern was a bargain for me! Ooh, maybe I'll add some pockets to a pair. Or embroider some....or add some ruffles.......
There is so much value in the free patterns and tutorials available online. But sometimes, paying a little to gain the advantage of benefitting from someone's else's experience and know-how can make all the difference.