I'm Janimal, happily gainfully employed Momma to a sweet girl. Livin' it up in Atlanta with a great husband and a good job. Sometimes I make stuff and here's my spot to show it off! Life is good, so I'm sharing....

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sew Serendipity Skirt

Life has been a bit hectic lately, so unfortunately not much creativity happening at my house. Today's post is to show off something I made many weeks ago, but never got around to taking pictures until last weekend. May I present, the Sew Serendipity Skirt?



This skirt is from a pattern in the book Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt. Here's the cover of the book.



My skirt followed the directions for the cover skirt, except I used just 3 fabrics instead of the 5 Kay used on the cover. Also, the cover version has rickrack trim which I left off my version.


The best thing about this pattern was the invisible zipper installation instructions. The book has clear instructions with lots of pictures. Installing this zipper was a breeze, and if I say so myself, it's perfect!



For my skirt, I used some quilting cottons I had in my stash. So, as it is likely to happen when using quilting cottons, I think it does sorta look like I'm wearing a quilt! For my next version, I will be careful about choosing some nice apparel fabrics to avoid that quilt-look.


I have to recommend this book - not only did I learn how to install an invisible zipper (worth the price of the book alone) but I am confident with the clear instructions I will be able to sew many garments from this book. I think my biggest challenge will be fabric selection. And isn't fabric shopping also the most fun part?!

Thanks for stopping by.
Take care,

Janimal

make it wear it

4 comments:

  1. Very Cute! I also like your fitted jacket you have with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Nice job... love the jacket, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so like this skirt - may have to add this book to my Mothers' Day list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And you don;t look at all as though you're wearing a quilt... but don't let that stop you from going out to buy some fabulous fabric for the next one...
    (I have this book, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the inspiration!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!